After the successful release of “Gordon” the Barenaked Ladies released on Aug. 16, 1994, their next album, “Maybe You Should Drive.” Since the release of the album it has gone double platinum in Canada as well as peaking in the No. 3 spot on the Heatseekers Chart in Canada. “Maybe You Should Drive” was the band’s first album to chart in the US, peaking at No. 175 on the Billboard 200.
“Jane,” “Alternative Girlfriend,” “These Apples,” “A” and “Life, in a Nutshell” were the most popular songs from this album. As with each of their early albums, the band recorded one song, “Intermittently,” completely naked.
Andy Creeggan, the band’s keyboardist/percussionist at the time, considered leaving the band during the rehearsals for this album. Steven was able to convince Andy to stay for its completion and subsequent promotional tour. Andy did end up departing the band and entered McGill University‘s music program. He has since recorded four albums with his brother Jim (who is also bassist for Barenaked Ladies) under the name The Brothers Creeggan.
Track Listing for “Maybe You Should Drive”
- Jane (Steven Page)
- Intermittently (Steven Page)
- These Apples (Ed Robertson)
- You Will Be Waiting (Steven Page)
- A (Steven Page)
- Everything Old Is New Again (Steven Page)
- Alternative Girlfriend (Steven Page)
- Am I the Only One (Ed Robertson)
- Little Tiny Song (Andy Creeggan)
- Life, In a Nutshell (Steven Page)
- The Wrong Man Was Convicted (Steven Page)
- Great Provider (Ed Robertson)
What is your favorite song from the “Maybe You Should Drive” album?
What do you think about the band recording the song Intermittently completely nude (link leads to a YouTube link of the band preforming Intermittently on their Ships and Dip V cruise)?